Topsy Turvy

So, all went silent here at onbalance for a while.  We had a few weeks Charles Dickens would have been proud of, for they certainly were the best of times and the worst of times.  That said, let us be grateful that our worst of times are only as bad as they are….

We had Spring Break, which started off with The Monkey going to the doctor to have a cyst in his ear lanced.  If that sounds both uncomfortable and gross, you are on the right track to understanding this experience.  To reward him for outstanding behavior at the doctor’s office– truly, I would not have been so calm– I let him pick an afternoon activity.

We set off to Sweet Berry Farms to pick strawberries.

We picked nearly 7 pounds of strawberries in less than an hour.  It took us less than 48 hours to eat 7 pounds of strawberries.  We like strawberries!

The next day we had a Cousins Meet-In-The-Middle Day in Waco at the Cameron Park Zoo.  Neither my Sister-in-Law (who lives in Dallas) nor I (who live in Austin) had been to this zoo before, but it proved to be a great day trip.  Even though it was Spring Break, the crowds were manageable, the animals were exciting to watch, and the kids had a great time.

The Stowaway and her Girl Cousin even got out of their strollers to live it up on a park bench.

The Boy Cousin joined The Monkey and The Bear for a ride on a wild animal.

By this point it was Wednesday, and things were looking up.  I had a bit of a toothache, but we were getting ready to head to Houston for a few days of fun with family friends, so I didn’t think much of it.

While in Houston, I was enjoying chatting away a sunny afternoon with a dear friend while our children ran around at a playground.  My bliss was interrupted by a horrific scream, one I identified immediately as coming from The Monkey.  The next thing I knew, he was running down the playground slide, spattering it with blood, and his forehead and fabulous flop of hair was caked in bright red.  I know that head wounds bleed profusely, but trust me when I say there was a staggering amount of blood.  I held him while he screamed for a few minutes, and the spare t-shirt of The Stowaway’s being used as a bandage was soaked in blood.  I decided to call 9-1-1.

After a long wait (17 minutes!), the ambulance arrived.  The EMTs recommended taking The Monkey to the hospital for a neurological evaluation.  (The upside of the horrific screaming that was still coming from my boy was that he never passed out.)  I got to ride in an ambulance for the first time.  Lucky me.

After the ER doc determined The Monkey still had brains in his head, he glued my boy back together again.  Hooray for no stitches!

And because we like irony in our family, The Monkey had to play in the ambulance when we went to the Children’s Museum of Houston the next day.

By the time we arrived back home to Austin the next day, I was in sheer pain from my toothache.  Fortunately my dentist was able to work me in within an hour of calling Monday morning, and by lunch time I’d had a root canal.  Yippee!  In all honesty, I am grateful for modern dentistry.  As much as it stinks to have to have (and pay for– OUCH) a root canal, going from 10 on a pain scale to 2 within 24 hours is nothing short of a blessing.

So, thank goodness the kids were back to school so I could focus on my mouth, my clients, and the regular running of the family…right!?  Two days after the root canal, The Stowaway came down with the dreaded pink eye.

Back to the doctor we went….

I guess all of this is the long-winded way of letting you know why I haven’t posted in a while.

Here’s hoping you and yours have had less excitement in your lives lately!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s